Monday, August 14, 2006

I had the unique and most wonderful pleasure this weekend. I climbed into a helicopter for the first time in 23 years and went for a tour of my hometown neighborhood and golf course. But the most amazing part was the trust of longtime friend, Greybeard. I admit I was nervous, my bride was nervous and more than awed at Greybeard's generosity.

The feelings I experienced were awesome. I was surprised I was able after a few tries to fly semi-straight and in trim. I was able to hover though landing was tougher than I remembered. Seeing my neighborhood from 500' AGL was great, even though Flame said she didn't see much of the neighbors as she was just checking that all our shingles were on. She loved every minute of the flight, but was disconcerted in turns at how vulnerable she felt. She wants to go again.

I was flooded with memories and that above all else was ..... mind-blowing, I can't express how wonderful it was to relive and experience flying again after such a long absence. I guess I'm just going to have to find a way to get back in the saddle.

Greybeard, Thank you. I have more to say but will save it for your next RON and over some suitable libations.

2 comments:

Mommanurse said...

Is this teaching an old dog old tricks?

Greybeard said...

Ha!
Reminding an Old Prairie Dog some old behaviors, Sis.